Everyone sets goals for a new year. I do it too. Sometimes I accomplish them, sometimes I don’t, but I always start with the best intentions. 2012 is no different. Here are a list of my goals this year.
- Lose 35 lbs. Why 35? I don’t know, it seemed like a good round number. About 3 lbs a month for 12 months. Really, I just want to be healthier and figure that working out more regularly and really watching what I eat will cause some weight loss.
- Publish a book. My wife and I are working on a devotional that we’d like to publish. Something simple, but something to help people walk well with Jesus.
- Read 15 Books. We aren’t talking War and Peace here or Pillars of the Earth or anything. I’ll publish this list tomorrow if you are interested in keeping up with my reading plan.
- Contribute 15% to my retirement account…(I hear you snoring out there).
- Start my doctorate. This has been a goal for a while. Still not sure I’ll be able to pull it off, but we shall see.
- Study the book of Isaiah.
- Increase my blog readership. You can help by sharing this blog on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, email, etc. I’d REALLY appreciate it.
- Develop an iPhone App to help people set goals (seriously, I’m working on this with a friend who’s developed some other cool apps at Boom Pow).
That’s my personal list among other family and church goals. I have many goals this year and will set sub goals and share with my accountability partner these goals to help me hit my benchmarks and ultimately accomplish my goals for 2012. I have many goals, but only ONE resolution
ONE Resolution: The Gospel on my lips
I have one thing that I am resolved to do in 2012. There is one thing that I want to be known for this year. It isn’t accomplishing my goals, it isn’t being a great husband, father, pastor, leader, or human. The one thing that I want to be targeted on is having the Gospel on the tip of my lips.
I want the Good News of Jesus constantly flowing out of me. I want it to be flowing out when talking to people who aren’t believers in Jesus. I want it to be flowing out when speaking to believers in Jesus. I want the Gospel constantly flowing out of me. The Gospel is not just the thing that saves us. The Gospel is also the thing that grows us.
This year I’m resolved to run every part of my life through the filter of the Gospel. I want 2012 to be a year centered on the Gospel. I mean if the world is ending (thanks Mayans for not finishing your calendar) then shouldn’t this year (and all years really) be spent on the ONE thing that really matters, the ONE thing that will change eternity for people?
I think so.
Christ is all,